Whether you’re planning for a busy morning or a lazy weekend, a breakfast casserole is an excellent way to take some of the stress out of your morning routine. Any time I can make things ahead of time to ease some of the morning rush is a win in my book! They also make a great dish for a breakfast potluck, such as our church’s monthly fellowship hour. It calls for our delicious Garlic & Chive Cheddar Cheese.
I love this recipe too because it’s gluten-free, assuming you use gluten-free sausage. I love the Country Time Farm sausage from Weaver’s Orchard. To make this, start by browning the Italian sausage in a large skillet. Remove sausage from the pan when you’re done, but save the oil to fry the potatoes. Pre-cook your russet potatoes using your preferred method: baking, boiling, microwaving or pressure cooking. It takes about 5 minutes to microwave them, 1 hour to bake them at 400, about 30-35 minutes in all to boil them, and about 13 minutes in all to pressure cook them.
Next, mix the eggs and milk together. Add the remaining ingredients except half of the cheese and half the onions. Pour into a 9″ pie plate and top with remaining cheese. Bake 30 minutes. Garnish with onions. Serve and enjoy!Print
Garlic Chive Cheddar Breakfast Casserole
A delicious breakfast casserole with sausage, potatoes and Conebella Farm Cheese.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- 3/4 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 8 oz shredded Conebella Farm Garlic & Chive Cheddar
- 2 cups (2–3 medium) potatoes, pre-baked
- 6 green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Pre-cook the potatoes in the oven, microwave or by boiling or pressure cooking.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until it’s no longer pink – about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate; set aside.
- Dice the pre-cooked potatoes into 1-cm size pieces. (I prefer to bake these ahead of time and let them cool, but the fastest method is to use the microwave.) In the same skillet add the diced potatoes and cook, stirring until golden brown and crispy on all sides.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs with the milk and black pepper. Add sausage, potatoes, half the cheese and half of the green onions.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9″ pie dish and sprinkle over the top with half of the remaining cheese. Bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with remaining green onions and serve.