This month we are saying farewell to the lazy days of summer and welcoming the hustle and bustle of the fall season. With school in session and fall activities beginning I know I have been thinking about how my cooking will need to change a bit with the busier season. When life gets busy, I result to crockpot meals and casseroles, which helps simplify dinnertime at my house. Conebella cheeses pair nicely with many of my favorite recipes such as in enchiladas, mixed in with meatloaf, on top of salads or with bread crumbs on baked chicken. Below is just one of my favorite recipes I’ve spiced up now using Conebella cheese.
Cheesy Potato Casserole
- 6-8 medium sized potatoes (red potatoes work well for this recipe)
- ¼ cup grated Cheddar cheese (use whichever Conebella Cheddar cheese you desire)
- 2 T. butter
- 2 T. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups milk
- ½ tsp. onion powder or 2 T. finely chopped onion
- Boil potatoes whole with skins on till they are just beginning to get soft.
- Let cool, pouring cold water over the potatoes helps speed this process.
- Peel and grate to make approximately 6 cups.
- Make white sauce by melting butter.
- Add flour, stir until dissolved god then add milk and keep stirring until thickened.
- Add salt and onion.
- Stir in cheese until melted and pour over potatoes.
- Butter your casserole dish before putting potatoes in.
- May be topped with a little extra grated cheese and sprinkled with paprika.
- Cut up ham or bacon may also be used in this casserole.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes at 350°.