Ready or not, fall schedules are here with all of the busyness this brings to our weeknight meal planing. At this time of year I find that even my well-intentioned meal plans fall by the wayside if I can get away with serving leftovers for dinner a night or two in a row.
And then there’s those nights when you have to eat on the go, but the thought of packing a cold sandwich just doesn’t cut it. I remember a few years ago, our weeknights were filled with a host of activities – we had evening classes two nights a week, Bible studies to get to and an otherwise jam-packed schedule. Eating at restaurants all the time really wasn’t feasible for our budget, so I would make paninis or hot sandwiches to take on the road.
Even now, as the daylight starts fading quickly, taking picnic dinners to a park or hiking spot can be the perfect change of scenery and pace. Hot sandwiches are always a win as they deliver all the flavor of a home-cooked meal with less clean-up required afterward. You can wrap up the sandwiches in foil to keep them warm. (Serve them within two hours for food safety.)
Some of my favorite sandwich combinations include honey mustard chicken or ham with cheese, Chicken Parm sandwiches with Conebella Farm’s fresh mozzarella, or this chicken sandwich with cheddar sauce. Browse our blog for more sandwich recipe ideas, and be sure to save this recipe below.
Chicken, Bacon & Cheddar Sandwiches
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Sandwich
- 4 rolls of your choice
- 4 sections chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 8 slices bacon
- 9–12 thin strips Conebella Farm cheddar or colby cheese of your choice
- 1/2 white onion, sliced in thin rounds
- 1/2 tomato, sliced in thin rounds
- Spring mix
- Cook the chicken in olive oil on a grill pan or sauté pan until it reaches 165 F or the juices run clear.
- Cook the bacon using your preferred method (oven, sauté pan, etc.) until it’s crispy.
- Sauté the onion rounds in a sauté pan until they are soft and begin to brown slightly.
- Slice the cheddar or Colby cheese and tomatoes. Wash and dry the spring mix.
- Lightly toast the rolls in the oven, toaster or toaster oven.
- Assemble the sandwiches on the rolls with chicken, bacon, cheddar, onion, tomato and spring mix.
- Serve and enjoy!