When grilling season rolls around, one of my favorite recipes is cheesy potatoes sliced and grilled in tin foil. However, since I often don’t have enough space to grill the potatoes along with everything else I want to grill, I came up with a new way to enjoy cheesy potatoes: baking them in the oven.
This recipe is super versatile! It can be made with red potatoes, Yukon Gold potatoes or Idaho potatoes. I chose diced Idaho potatoes this time since that’s what I had, but I usually make it with sliced red potatoes. If you choose to grill it, just put the potatoes in thick, non-stick tin foil and grill on low for 25-30 minutes.
When it came to deciding what cheese to use in this recipe, I knew my family would love Sharp Cheddar. One of Conebella Farm’s rich and creamy flavored cheddar or Colby cheeses would also be delicious.
All the recipes I make get taste-tested by my family to make sure they are good enough to share. My husband LOVED these potatoes. I asked him to rate it on a scale of 1-5 and he said “10!”
Although we didn’t have much in the way of leftovers, we ate the rest the next day with our scrambled eggs. Yum!
Here’s the recipe:
- About 7-8 medium Idaho potatoes
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. oregano
- 2 Tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Clove minced garlic
- ¾ Cup Conebella Farm sharp cheddar or Italian Cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place the butter in a glass casserole dish and let it melt for a few minutes while the oven is preheating.
- Wash and dice the potatoes. Place them in the casserole dish. Sprinkle with salt, oregano, garlic powder and minced garlic and toss to coat with the melted butter.
- Bake them (without the cheese) for about 30 minutes, stirring halfway through. Add the cheese and bake approximately another 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and potatoes are crispy.
- Serve with your favorite summer grilling recipes!